Wednesday, September 16, 2015

This Is Me



This is me in my nursing scrubs last night during my 12-hour shift, wearing my NURSES stethoscope. During those 12 hours, I do many things for my patients. I treat them by administering their medications, those that are scheduled and those for an unwanted bout of pain or nausea. Sometimes I just hold a hand or give a hug while listening to a patient as he or she takes in a new cancer diagnosis or experiences an all-too-familiar feeling of chemotherapy treatment really hitting the body and causing pain and clumps of hair to fall out onto the pillow. Sometimes I tell people that it's OK to be afraid to brush your hair.

But I also perform a head-to-toe physical assessment.

I listen to lung sounds - is your breathing labored? Are you wheezing? Coughing up blood? Possibly overloaded with fluid?

I listen to your heart. Can I hear a beat? Is it abnormally fast or slow? Is the rhythm a bit off? Does the EKG performed by my tech or myself show something concerning?

I listen to your bowel sounds. Can I hear the gurgling that lets me know your insides are doing what they should be? Are you constipated? When was your last bowel movement? Are you having diarrhea? Is your stool loose or bloody? Does the touch of my stethoscope or hands suddenly cause you pain?

I am proud of what I do. To Joy Behar and the rest of The View, I don't wish you ill. But if ever you find yourself under the care of a nurse, I hope you realize the true extent of our knowledge, abilities, and how much we care about and do for you, our patient, both when you are strong and at your most painfully vulnerable moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment